Office Of The Mayor
The functions of the Mayor are set out in the Municipal Structures Act. The mayor is elected by the Municipal council to co-ordinate the work of the Municipality. The Mayor is the political head of the municipality and is expected to provide the required leadership necessary to keep the municipality moving in the proper direction. The mayor presides over meetings of the executive committee and performs functions assigned to him or her by the municipal council or the executive committee. These duties include any ceremonial duties. The Municipal Manager is directly accountable to the mayor. The mayor appoints the municipal manager and heads of departments upon resolution of the council. One person may serve a maximum of two consecutive terms as mayor in the same council.
Must perform a ceremonial role as the council may determine
- Appoint and dismiss the members of the mayoral committee.
- Delegate specific responsibilities to each member of the committee.
- Determine the venue, time and date of meeting of the mayoral committee.
- May delegate any of the executive mayor’s powers to the respective members
- Identify the needs of the municipality and review and evaluate those needs in order of priority.
- Recommend to the council strategies, programmes and services to address priority needs through the integrated development plan.
- Recommend or determine the best way to deliver those strategies.
- Identify and develop criteria in terms of which progress in the implementation of the strategies and programmes can be evaluated. Evaluate progress against the key performance indicators
Performance Monitoring and Evaluation
- Review the performance of the municipality
- Monitor the management of the municipality’s administration in accordance with the directions of the municipal council.
- Oversee the provision of services to communities in the municipality in a sustainable manner.
- Ensure that regard is given to public views and report on the effect of consultation on the decisions of the council.
- Annually report to the council on the involvement of communities and community organizations.
- Must report to the municipal council on all decisions taken by the executive mayor.
- Perform such duties and exercise powers as the council may delegate to her or him.
Term of Office
- One person may serve a maximum of two consecutive terms as mayor in the same council.